Casual: Community & Young People’s Sessional Worker
Department: Community and Young People Services
Responsible to: Senior Community & Young People’s Officer
Responsible for: No-one
Main Purpose of Role
- To assist in the supervision of young people using Grove Corner. To assist the Senior Community and Young People’s Officer at Grove Corner.
- To assist in the delivery of a range of services within Grove Corner such as drop-in sessions and provide information and advice.
- To assist in the delivery of outreach youth services and activities.
- To support a range of services targeting young people being delivered from Grove Corner including the provision of a “drop in” service targeting 10 to 18 year olds.
- To assist in ensuring that all young people services are delivered in accordance with legislation governing the care of young people and that the Council maintains an up to date Child Protection Policy.
- Provide information and advice to individuals and groups and act as their advocate when appropriate to do so.
- To consult with the service users and partner organisations to inform the development plans for continued improvement of young people services.
- To collate monitoring data for information reports.
- To assist in the provision of family orientated workshops during school holidays in various locations.
- A youth and community work background.
- Experience of delivering services to young people.
- Knowledge of legislation relating to the delivery of services to young people, e.g. The Children Act 2004 and the main outcomes of Every Child Matters legislation.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good administrative skills.
- Good knowledge and skills in customer care.
- Ability to work evenings and some weekends. To be determined.
- Qualification in Youth and Community work.
- Partnership working skills with external organisations from the public, voluntary and private sectors.
- Willingness to undertake appropriate training and education as part of a commitment to continued professional development.
Complexity and Creativity
The role has responsibility for supporting and implementing any sensitive legislation relating to the care of children and young people.
The post holder will be expected to assist in the delivery a range of services targeted at 5-18 year olds which is a complex market that requires an innovative and proactive approach to problem solving.
Judgement and Decisions
The actions of the post holder will have an influence on the Community and Young People Service as a whole. Although the post holder will not take influential, important decisions and will only assist senior officers. Failure of the Council to comply with legislation relating to the care of young people and buildings health and safety could have severe repercussions on the Council.
Internal – 10%
Councillors, Corporate Management Team, all Council staff.
External – 90%
Young people and members of the public